I apologize I haven’t written on the blog in a week or so – I’ve actually been quite busy at work! (And, Will's parents came to visit, which I've written about below...)
I am really in the thick of a project, which I’m enjoying. For the past 7.5 years, the NGO that I volunteer for has been servicing women living in Dharavi (the largest slum community in Asia) and who are experiencing domestic violence. However, the NGO would like to expand their network beyond Dharavi, and the first step they feel is networking with other NGO’s who do similar work, either direct service regarding violence against women (e.g. crisis intervention, counseling, shelters, legal services) or community organizing, workshops and policy reform/advocacy.
My job has been to interview Directors of NGOs throughout Mumbai who address Violence Against Women from any or all of these angles. This has given me the opportunity to travel throughout the city and meet really interesting people and witness incredible and effective programs. Afterwards, I document the interview notes in a formal questionnaire which my supervisor is using to keep track of what other NGOs are doing, and what the opportunities are for collaboration. The interview asks questions about the other organizations’ history, philosophies, mode of intervention, networking experience, challenges, and collaboration potential and interest.
I am so inspired by the resourcefulness, professionalism, and achievement of the NGOs I have met. More importantly, their devotion to promoting self-suffiency, and developing sustainable programs to be managed by the community members themselves and which avoid creating permanent dependence on the NGO is far more than I can say for the service industry in the US. Still holding fast to the principles of Gandhi’s Swadeshi (self-suffiency), India and its citizens have a constant goal to stand on their own and it shows in their work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment