Monday, April 14, 2008

Ghandiji

Before we left for India, I rented the Oscar-winning movie "Ghandi" and watched it with my brother Barry, his girlfriend Sari and my granny Sybil over delicious Persian food. I thought it would provide a good history of the country's conquest for independence and provide some visuals for me to get accustomed to prior to arrival. The film did its service and naturally moved me and instilled a heightened profound respect (and love?) for Ghandi and his unbelievable power over a confused, frustrated, religiously diverse people to fight for freedom without using might. By fasting and threatening his life, he had the ability to halt massive violent battles between the Hindus and Muslims...I can't think of anyone in today's era who has that sort of inspiration to change an entire nation's actions.

While in Pune, Will and I visited Aga Khan Palace (Ghandi Memorial Museum) where Ghandi and his wife Kasturba were interned for two years.
It is a lovely exhibit with photos, quotes, paintings, sculptures and stories all serving as a tribute to Ghandi, his piety, and his "Quit India" campaign. One of the interesting aspects of his struggle was that he initially pushed for independence from the British in 1920, and when that failed, he realized that he had to attempt to elevate the people of India out of poverty and develop a more united and strong people before pursuing independence once again five years later. So, he turned his attention to social and health issues and encouraged everyone (from all classes/castes) to learn spinning so that they could make their own clothes and he could introduce the concept of self-sufficiency.
Since arriving in India, I have brought up the topic of Ghandi in several circles and apparently Indian's sentiment towards the little big man is varied. Though Ben Kingsley did a superb job protraying the powerhouse and many of the scenes in the movie are accurate, apparently the movie's story leaves out some of the negative views of Ghandi, such as his neglect towards his children. Another interesting issue that has emerged is his relationship with Madeleine Slade, who was an Englishwoman that moved to Ghandi's ashram as a loyal devotee. But some say there may have been a bit of romance between them. I have just started reading "The Seeker" which is a novel about the relationship between Madeleine and Ghandi based on letters, books, articles, and interviews. I will keep you posted!
PS-- When I mentioned the film to our new friend Rupa, she informed me that her aunt played Ghandi's wife in the film!

1 comment:

Baz said...

That's awesome about Rupa's aunt, and really interesting about Gandhi's PR on the subcontinent. Wikipedia said he was celibate; just goes to show how much you can trust open-source encyclopedias...